Milagu Kozhambu is easy to prepare and also economic at the same time. It doesnt require much of ingredients. Milagu means pepper corns in Tamil . Hence it derives its name from it. It is usually liked by rural tamilans and is served along with rice.
Tamarind - a small lemon sized ball.
1 spoon mustard
2 spoon dhania.
1 spoon tuar dal.
1/2 spoon urad dal.
1 spoon pepper(whole).
1/2 spoon cumin seeds(zeera).
4 red chilliesa little asafoetida.
1 tablespoon oil.
Salt to taste .
- Soak some handful of tamarind in water. Keep it aside.
- Fry mustard, dhania, tuar dal, urad dal, pepper, zeera, red chillies and asafoetida in little oil.
- After it cools down, grind itwith a little water into a paste.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and fry mustard seeds in them.
- When they begin to pop, add tamarind water (earlier kept aside) and heat.
- When it boils, add the paste and salt.
- Remove from fire when it becomes thick.
- Serve hot with rice.
Making Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 3 persons.
Shelflife : 1 day (if refrigerated, then can be used for 2 days).
- Mix with rice and eat! It can be preserved for a week if a little more oil is used.
- This Milagu Kozhambu tastes best with Parappu Thogayal.
Click here to know all about Tamil Nadu cuisines- Introduction To Tamil Nadu Cuisines And Recipes.
Labels: Tamil Nadu Recipes