|Panagam, a traditional drink from Tamil Nadu|
Panagam, is a traditional and ancient drink from Tamil Nadu. It is usually prepared on the occassion of Rama Navami, which marks the birth of Lord Shri Rama (please refer the mythological legend of Ramayan). Panagam is a simple drink and besides Naivaidyam , which means offering to God, it is also prepared during summer to quench thirst and boost energy. It is prepared from Jaggery which is rich source of Iron and is proven to be instant energy booster. Do try this simple drink at home and am sure it will be loved.
Jaggery - 1 cup
Water- 3 cups
Sonth (Dry Ginger / Chukku) - 1 teaspoon
Limejuice - 1 teaspoon
Cardamom powder - 1 teaspoon
Black Pepper - 2 pinches
Salt - 1 pinch.
- Grate the jaggery and dissolve it in the said amount of water and place it on the stove over lowest flame.
- Slowly add the Dry Ginger powder which is called Sonth in hindi and Chukku in Tamil to it.
- Then add the Cardamom powder , black pepper (just a dash or pinch and not more). Then add the salt and limejuice.
- Stir well and remove from flame. Please donmt let it come to boil. Just heat it a bit since many cant digest the raw taste of jaggery.
- Allow it cool and serve. If needed store in Refrigerator for a hour and serve chilled.
- Panagam is ready. Its delicious drink.
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 3 minutes
Serves : 4 persons
Shelflife: 3-4 days
Serving suggestion : serve chilled or warm.
Note :- Please dont let the drink to boil. You can also prepare this drink without heating or cooking it over flame. Dont add too much of black pepper and it can also be left as option. Add salt just a pinch.