Photobucket
●๋•∂нαηαѕняєє●๋•
Avial , A kerala cuisine














I would first and foremost say sorry to everyone who read blog. I am sorry for being away from blogging for so long and I sincerely apologise for the same. I had been little sick for few days initial and later got engrossed with other activities and work so much that I couldn't make it out to take time for blogging. Moreover, I had a problem with my phone and lost few of my pics which i stored in it for blogging. Anyways, I couldn't save much of the pics since it didn't enable me backup the memory. As such, I did save some pics in my PC which finally gave me some relief. I am looking forward to buy a good camera since the quality of pics would make a difference .Well, henceforth I would make it sure that I am updating and writing my blog often. Afterall, cooking is my passion.  

Today, I am posting a typical and famous kerala cuisine called Avial. Avial is popular dish in kerala and considered very important for all gatherings and occasions. Its is excellent vegetarian cuisine and good options for all vegeterian food lovers. It looks fabulous and is made from many vegetables like yam, Snake gourd, potatoes, beans, peas, carrots, pumpkins, drumsticks and so on. In short it includes many vegetables and can be called as a ideal food for vegetarians.

As such even seasonal vegetables like unripe mangoes and others can also be used for avial and if you can't make it out with many vegetables, then use only those which you prefer like you can make a avial out of yam only, or just carrots and potatoes etc.



Ingredients:
Yam - 1 cup sliced into 1and1/2 inch length 
Cucumber- 1 cup sclied into 1 and 1/2 inch length
Potatoes - 1 cup sliced similarly
Beans - 1 cup sliced similarly
Carrots - 1 cup sliced similarly
Snake gourd - 1 cup sliced similarly
Raw Banana -1 cup sliced similarly
Drumsticks - 1 cup sliced similarly
Peas- 1/2 cup ( preferably fresh peas ) ( In case of dry ones, soak them overnight)
Note: Slice all the vegetables into equal length and preferably cut it longer as said.

Shredded Coconut - 1/2 cup 
Cumin seeds - 2 tablespoon
Green chillies - 4-5 nos
Curd - 3 tablespoon
Curry leaves - 10- 12 nos
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Coconut oil - 2 tablespoon.
Method:
  1. Wash all the vegetables and slice them as said and keep aside.
  2. Grind together coconut, green chillies and cumin seeds together by adding little water and make a fine paste and keep aside.
  3. Heat the coconut oil in a deep bottom kadai or pan. Add the curry leaves,Asafoetida,  mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
  4. Add the vegetables and little water . Close it with a lid and allow it to cook for few minutes.
  5. Check it after 10- 12 minutes.The vegetables would almost cooked by now. ( another way to check is check out for steam, once steam is seen coming ..its indicator that vegetables are cooked)
  6. Add the fine paste and curd and mix well. Add salt and mix well. 
  7. Cook it further for some 5-6 minutes will the coconut is well cooked.
  8. The avial is ready. Serve it hot with steam rice and Sambhar.
 


Preparation Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves : 5 -6 persons
Shelflife:1 day
Serving Suggestion: Serve hot with steam rice and Sambhar.


Note:
  • Chop and slice all the vegetables into equal size.
  • Grind the paste finely
  • The variation of vegetables can be left to personal choice .
  • Take fresh coconut for this cuisine
  • Use only coconut oil for this particular dish.

Click here to know and learn more about Kerala recipes and cuisines- An Introduction to Kerala Recipes and Cuisines.


 
 





 

 






sign
2 Responses
  1. Wow, nice post.. I was looking for same content. Indian Spices do great and make meal delicious.

    Sapna
    + 91 9829061228

    www.spicespulses.com/index.php
    Email spicespulses@gmail.com



Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
FSIS Post Divider Pictures, Images and Photos